Project Assistants’ Case Studies
Project Assistants Integrates Traditional Media Production and IT Development Methodologies to Drive Interactive Media Business
Project Assistants was engaged by IBM’s Interactive Media to develop an integrated methodology based upon project management methodology, software development lifecycle (SDLC) methodology, and traditional media production methodology. Project Assistants efforts were provided in support of IBM’s business need to have a standard means of delivering quality internet technology and application development services to clients such as Borders.com, Hertz.com, NFL.com. USOpen.com and several other marquis names. In each case, this integrated methodology was providing the foundation for the visual digital branding and supporting e-commerce back-end engines.
Core Capabilities Applied in Engagement
Project Assistants assignment at IBM Interactive Media covered all aspects of project management methodology: scope definition, project planning and scheduling, baselining and status report (for schedule, labor, and costs), variance and root cause analysis, scope/change management and status communications. Project Assistants was also responsibility for establishing the project management office (PMO) infrastructure that drive the implementation and adoption of this methodology across a 400 person organization. This PMO implementation also included a project governance process model that provided for validating and driving the adoption of the project management methodology through documented audit and review processes.
Client Organization Description
The project management organization consisted of one supporting Vice President, 5 supporting directors, one contract manager, three consultants, 15 Project Managers and 300 project team members.
- Well-defined scope definition statements (represented in a statement of work with standard scope definition sections)
- Clearly articulated project schedules for both schedule and resource
- Project plans were base-lined, forming the foundation of variance analysis
- Status reporting included tracking of actual resource time which provided accurate project costing/charge backs.
- Project reporting based upon standard data driven out of project plans that provided confidence in information
- Clearly articulated scope definitions enabled smoother process for scope management
- Smoother on-boarding of PM’s and projects
- The growth of the maturity of the organization’s project management was enabled
- Made an immediate impact on streamlining the business while allowing for rapid process improvement
Key Engagement Components
- Organizational project management maturity model assessment
- Process design and development
- Project management consulting and advice
- Training material development and delivery
- Process documentation
- Change Management consulting
- Methodology support
- Project management technology implementation